Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My tumor and my transformation

This post is an update and reference to one of my earlier posts called "Prayers, Positivity and Pituitary Adenomas".  If you haven't already read (which you TOTALLY should have) the earlier post, here is the link: Prayers, Positivity and Pituitary Adenomas

It has been a little over 6 months since I was diagnosed with a Pituitary Tumor.  It's not something that I usually discuss because the symptoms and side effects to the medication are somewhat personal.  However, there is freedom in telling others.  So, if you read my post, most of you know I saw a neurosurgeon back in October. I can recall my first encounter with Dr. Vaughn.  He is a very small man with a very dry, yet uniquely intriguing sense of humor, yet incredibly intelligent.  Instead of spouting off a bunch of mumbo jumbo doctor lingo, Dr. Vaughn, first, asked me what I knew about my condition.  I remember him drawing a brain on a piece of paper (an absolutely terrible drawing of the brain, but a brain nonetheless) and I distinctly remember him being engaged in my concerns and thoughts regarding the appointment.  After hearing me out and helping me to completely understand what was occurring within my body, he began by telling me "if you're going to have a tumor, this is the kind you want". Instant relief overcame me.  He told me that he was going to start me on some medication, which would have some side-effects, but to just take note and let him know if things were too severe. Surgery was, also, discussed during the appointment.  Blood work and a follow-up MRI would need to be completed in 6 months.

About a month after my appointment in Birmingham, I began to notice that my body was reacting to the medication, fairly well.  The first month after my appointment, the symptoms that Dr. Vaughn had described were present and severe, I stayed home from work for two days due to severe back pain, migraines, and mood changes/swings. I remember being at my apartment laying in bed and praying that not only the pain ease, but that the severity of the symptoms would diminish in weeks to come. God is faithful.  After a short period of time, the pain eased and in weeks to come the symptoms diminished. In March, I was scheduled to get follow-up blood work completed.  This was again to check my prolactin levels and to see if the levels had decreased any.  The nurses explained that I would hear something back, before I would have my 6 month appointment.  However, I did not hear anything back. I called UAB, but was never able to get in contact with anyone, so I assumed things were fine and that I would hear from them when I went in for my appointment. 

Today was my follow-up appointment and God is good. First of all, God is full of blessings. My very first MRI was done in Dothan, Alabama.  This entire process was frustrating and strenuous. After having the MRI, I had to drive back to Dothan to pick up the CD, which had my MRI scans on it, in the Records department, I had to personally deliver the CD to Birmingham because the Hospital in Dothan would not mail the MRI Results. I forgot to mention the tediousness of having to set up the MRI myself with not only the hospital, but through my health insurance provider, too. This time, God blessed me with an MRI appointment and an appointment to see my doctor on the same day in Birmingham, both at the Kirkland Clinic, back-to-back.  At each appointment they were able to get me in very quickly, but the best blessing I received was the news about the adenoma.  When Dr. Vaughn walked through the door with a smile on his face, he began to tell me how much progress I have made in such a short period of time.  The tumor that was once pressing on my optic nerve was no longer pressing on it. In fact, there was a gap between the optic nerve and the tumor.  Dr. Vaughn explained, "your tumor has shrunk in size and levels are way down. Your levels were 150, six months ago, and are now down to 40". He confirmed that I will not have to have brain surgery, in the future, and that there is a possibility that I will not have to be on the medication for the rest of my life.  He reported that there is a chance the tumor might eventually disappear altogether. His words were like music to my ears, but I couldn't help but be somewhat thankful for this opportunity to have this 15mm tumor on my pituitary glad that had caused me years of issues. 

I, firmly, believe that within the next two years of treatment that this tumor will be completely gone, not because of the medication, but because prayer works and God is faithful and loving to His children. In October, I remember spending several nights in a row crying because I thought this tumor would be life threatening and detrimental, but instead it turned into a life transforming moment that has been full of spiritual growth. I look around at so many other people struggling with things in life that are far greater than a benign tumor on their pituitary gland. I realize something like this doesn't even hold a candle to what others are going through because the ultimate healer has already fought this battle for me.  Throughout this time, God has shown Himself in more ways than I am even able to count. If this had not occurred, I don't believe that I would be able to see God's goodness in so many aspects of life and his miraculous ability to reveal himself in all situations and circumstances.
Recently, I had the pleasure of hearing Holly Wagner speak at church. One thing that really stuck out to me were her thoughts on life experiences. She discussed mountain top experiences, which are when things are going great in life and you seem to have things figured out. She also discussed valley experiences,  which consist of when you are in a low place in life and things are rocky and you are struggling. As she was explaining each of these experiences in life, she said "but only in the valley is were fruit grows" (Can I get a hallelujah? That is good, right there). Her analogy is great and specific. Fruit is beautiful, healthy and sweet, just as struggling experiences can be.  This experience has certainly not been a mountain top experience, but it is one that I can look back on and say I bare much more fruit because of. I look back and see God's goodness and the impact that this experience has had on me, which has provided me with spiritual growth, faithfulness, peace, and an indescribable joy.  I have felt God's presence and seen his faithfulness during this time more than I ever have. His presence is transforming and lovely and I would not want to change this time in my life for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment